Crossman Crew

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Daily 5

I have implemented a new program in my classroom. We are using The Daily 5 for our core reading time. We started it this week, and it went very well. Basically it's time that is chunked, and the kids get to choose what they work on: 5 key jobs. We start with a lesson together, then 20 minutes of work time, then a mini lesson, then another 20 minutes of work time. I hope to be able to work up to three chunks of work time. During the time the kids are working on their jobs, I can pull small groups of students for more individualized instruction.
A listening center is just one job the kids can choose. I gave a mini lesson on how to use the (ancient) tape player (and YES, I had to explain what the tape was, and how it worked). The kids love to listen to the story chosen (Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes), and one person gets to hold the book. They are very engaged and quiet, until one has to say something and forgets they have those big, thick headphones on!
No earbuds for us! We've got those giant headphones! The kids complain that they are very tight, and they really can't hear me at all if I need to stop to talk to them. There's a lot of "HUH?"
The kids can also choose to read on their own, or with a partner (two other jobs).

Next to the listening center, the kids like this job the best: Work on Writing. I have made a bunch of class books, blank writing pages, so that the kids can write the books themselves. They love to grab a book, and fill a page. There are books about losing teeth, weekend fun, presents, friends, Halloween, etc. I even have a book for boys and a book for girls. Ask your child to tell you about them. They have been busy filling them up. I have even asked for suggestions for future books, and the kids have filled Post-it notes with titles for me. They are very creative.

We've only had a choice of 4 jobs this week, but next week we will add in Fun With Words!

No comments:

Post a Comment